Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In Search of

From the video I learned what a filter bubble is and how little control I have over my searches on Google. I always thought I was the one in control when really I'm not.  I also thought when people searched the same key words on Google they would get the same results as everyone else.  When really no two people will get the same results unless those people are almost identical.  This makes me think about other information that is out there on the topic I'm researching.  I wonder what the other side of the story may be and if I'm actually getting the correct information.  Some questions that I have are what information have I been missing out on and which facts should I use from these search engines?  To improve my searches I can use different key words, that I might not usually use.  I can also use different search engines and see what different ideas I get.  When re-doing a search on Shakespeare, instead of just going to Google and typing who was Shakespeare, I took a couple extra steps. I used two different search engines, Ask and Bing, these websites gave me close to the same information I got from Google. I then used a couple different key words, like why is Shakespeare so mysterious. This lead to some different results, and helped me learn that I will have to search most topics in different ways. I can't just use the one sided information I get from Google, and that's why watching this video was important. 

No comments:

Post a Comment